Tuesday 12 June 2012

Yes he fought for our freedom, but so did they!

Can too much credit ever be given to someone? Nelson Mandela, for example, has had the whole world singing his praises since his release from prison. There's Nelson Mandela everything, from Nelson Mandela square, NMMU, NM drive, just to name a few. I'm not hating here, nor do I mean to be all political, but how much credit can be given to one man? What about everyone else who played a role in the fight for our freedom, people whose names were never mentioned in history books and people whose praises aren't sung by the whole world, don't they at least deserve some recognition too? Mostly, "who on earth is that ?" is the first thing that comes to our minds when we see a street named after someone other than Utata or any other famous struggle hero. I still don't know whether this is due to our ignorance or the praises the likes of Utata, Arch Bishop Desmond Tutu and the others receive. I'm not saying we should stop celebrating Nelson Mandela's birthday or stop naming the whole country after him but the fact that there are other people who helped him, even though they were not imprisoned for 27 years like, should be considered. He didn't fight for this country's freedom alone. No harm is meant in writing this, I love Utata but hayi! I'm just voicing out my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment